Some thought on configuration and install list for new FreeBSD server :
1. Install minimal (pick minimal or developer)
2. Configure ethernet card
ifconfig_em0=”inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0″
ifconfig_em0_alias0=”inet 10.10.12.1 netmask 255.255.255.240″
3. Time synchronize
-bash-2.05b$ rdate time.nist.gov
Many distro nowadays give alternative media for installation, like newest release of Centos
4.5 available in DVD and CD. The other side, VectorLinux 5.6 soho come with CD option. I
just remember when I must install Redhat 9 that require 3 cds, my friend forgot to return
the last cd, make my installation process never complete. Mandrake (now mandriva) has option to skip package that not available. What a convenient why, at that time I just thinking about iso file for DVD for following reason:
- No more interruptible installation process.
- Full package for home user who has slow internet connection or not even have it. Like DVD repository in ubuntu.
Being sick, no internet access available plus no new movie to watch, my friend ask me for shell account in freebsd box. He said for education purpose, wanna learn about ssh. Why not try it in windows? thats my question after see his Acer notebook. Is it possible? he reply
I don’t know, need to ask google first.
During search, I stumble upon of cygwin plus ssh solution.
Is there any easier solution for newbie like me?
Google pointing other soilution : sshd for windows
Download latest version from here, choose Binary Installer Releases
Quick install steps :
FreeBSD supports three methods for installing program :
Every method has its advantage and disadvantage :
- Ports, till time of writing, already reach 16984, wow. Supports many option, my favorite since beginning :-). Simply type make install .
- Package, for time consuming ports like cvsup I prefer use package for its small size. Package not provide option.
- Source, everything begin with source. If no ports or package available I use source.
Like debian or ubuntu ports make life easier, every dependency handling automatically as long you got internet connection
Pretty impressive list of ports number 16984, I don’t know all of them. Only related ports to sytem administration like apache, php, mysql etc.
Maybe I should explore the ports more for better understanding on how FreeBSD work.
Full list of FreeBSD ports to date :
At previous post about install wordpress in localhost, I got new question :
What about FTP server, is it possible to install local FTP server to make simulation like upload to real server?
The answer is : Yes
Just install FTP server in computer and point it’s shared folder, for example :
Here’s the steps :
1. Download latest version from here
2. Download FTP client, for example coreftp from here
3. Install FTP server and FTP client
4. Add any password you want, like 123456
5. Add user and password for accessing folder in FTP server, I use : alamster and password : 123456
6. Add shared folder, this folder is destination folder like ‘public_html’ or www in real production server
7. Try login to FTP server with defined user and password at previous step.
For more detail illustration , see this video