Logical Volume in FreeBSD with gconcat

New data come everyday make existing storage media no longer reliable, need to add new harddisk

New harddisk + old harddisk need to join in single volume

FreeBSD provide a few method, gvinum, gconcat and gstripe

Since I only have two harddisk I try use gconcat :

kongja# df -H

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a 5.2G 111M 4.7G 2% /
devfs 1.0k 1.0k 0B 100% /dev
/dev/ad0s1d 52G 38G 9.3G 80% /home
/dev/ad0s1e 7.3G 7.0G -295M 104% /usr
/dev/ad0s1f 11G 4.5G 6.0G 43% /var
/dev/ad2s1d 194G 137G 42G 77% /data3
/dev/ad1s1d 243G 1.9M 224G 0% /data2
/dev/ad3s1d 242G -12k 223G -0% /data4

unmount /data2 and /data4 for merger operation :

kongja# umount /data2
kongja# umount /data4

Merger :

kongja# gconcat label -v data5 /dev/ad1s1d /dev/ad3s1d

Metadata value stored on /dev/ad1s1d.
Metadata value stored on /dev/ad3s1d.
Done.

make new mount point :

kongja# mkdir /data5

kongja# mount /dev/concat/data5 /data5

Check size of new partition /data5

kongja# df -H /data5

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/concat/data5 485G 4.1k 446G 0% /data5

Great, to make it permanent, must add new entry in fstab and edit loader.conf :

geom_concat_load=”YES”

Yay, FreeBSD rocks

Can’t wait for 7.0 with ZFS :-)

Unzip / Uncompress Cisco IOS in Windows XP

[phpbay]cisco ios|cisco firewall,2[/phpbay]

While doing searching in hacki.at forum, I found post about unzip/uncompress cisco IOS.

Ouch, I didn’t know that :-)

First option using winrar and the second is using unzip program from gnuwin32.

I try winrar and just fine, next step I try unzip program. Working well too.

Software for unzip can download here

After download I doubleclicking it then extract the files to C:\unzip using winzip. Continue reading

Dynagen in FreeBSD

After ports unfreeze, I do some directory ports walking ( wanna analogy it as blogwalking :-) ), find dynagen and dynamips ports. I thought dynagen not available in FreeBSD but I’m wrong :-)

su-2.05b# whereis dynamips

dynamips: /usr/ports/emulators/dynamips

su-2.05b# whereis dynagen

dynagen: /usr/ports/emulators/dynagen

su-2.05b# ls /usr/ports/emulators | grep dyna

dynagen
dynamips
dynamips-devel

wow, try dynagen first :-)

su-2.05b# cd /usr/ports/emulators/dynagen/

See version

su-2.05b#ee Makefile

# New ports collection makefile for: dynagen
# Date created: 2006-11-07
# Whom: trasz

#
# $FreeBSD: ports/emulators/dynagen/Makefile,v 1.6 2007/04/13 13:03:46 trasz Exp $
#PORTNAME= dynagen
PORTVERSION= 0.9.0
CATEGORIES= emulators
MASTER_SITES= ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE}
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR= dyna-gen

MAINTAINER= trasz@freebsd.org
COMMENT= Text-based front end for Dynamips

RUN_DEPENDS= dynamips:${PORTSDIR}/emulators/dynamips

Version 0.9, no time for installation but prepare the file is OK

su-2.05b# make fetch

On FreeBSD before 6.2 ports system unfortunately can not set default X11BASE by itself so please help it a bit by setting X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in make.conf.
On the other hand, if you do wish to use non-default X11BASE, please set variable USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE.
*** Error code 1

Sigh, this box is 4.11 not 6.2, try add more option in ‘make’

su-2.05b# make USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE=1 fetch

===> Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
=> dynagen-0.9.0.tar.gz doesn’t seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch from http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dyna-gen/.
fetch: http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dyna-gen/dynagen-0.9.0.tar.gz: Not Found
=> Attempting to fetch from http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/dyna-gen/.
dynagen-0.9.0.tar.gz 100% of 230 kB 2598 Bps 00m00s

ready to install, make install clean

P.S : I should learn about how to modifiy ports, dynagen has reach 0.9.2 but ports still 0.9 :-)

php4-gd and xorg7.2

Try to upgrade php4-gd from ports, but still not work :-(

kongja# portupgrade php4-gd

—>  Upgrading ‘php4-gd-4.4.6’ to ‘php4-gd-4.4.7’ (graphics/php4-gd)
—>  Building ‘/usr/ports/graphics/php4-gd’
===>  Cleaning for php4-4.4.7
===>  Cleaning for autoconf-2.59_2
===>  Cleaning for xorg-libraries-7.2
………………….
………………….
===>  Cleaning for php4-gd-4.4.7
===>  Found saved configuration for php4-gd-4.3.10
===>  Extracting for php4-gd-4.4.7
=> MD5 Checksum OK for php-4.4.7.tar.bz2.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for php-4.4.7.tar.bz2.
===>  Patching for php4-gd-4.4.7
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for php4-gd-4.4.7
===>   php4-gd-4.4.7 depends on executable in : phpize – found
===>   php4-gd-4.4.7 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/autoconf259 – found
===>   php4-gd-4.4.7 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries – not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries in /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries
Read /usr/ports/UPDATING for the procedure to upgrade or install xorg 7.2.
*** Error code 1
Continue reading

No more 192.168.1.1, avoid it in your network!

Sigh… I hate 192.168.1.1

Since a lot of router or access point built in ip configured for 192.168.1.1 by default

Same ip make ipconflict and make my day ruined

Message for other newbie

don’t use 192.168.1.1 as ip for your server

use other ip like : 192.168.1.112 or 192.168.1.252 it’s safer from 192.168.1.1

get it out from your master plan :-)